Tuesday 26 April 2016

Beadless Centre Ice Queen

Last weekend I was invited to my very first ever... Tatting Day!   It was wonderful to meet so many tatters and see their beautiful creations.  I even got to meet the famous Jane Eborall (she won't like me calling her that I bet... but she is!) and see her "at work" as she was teaching a techniques workshop.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  My thanks to Linda for organising the day.

I'm afraid I've got no "evidence" (photos) to show for it as I was just too busy looking, tatting and chatting!

I got a basket mould from Linda which I look forward to showing you in another post.  Linda had asked me to bring Ice Queen as she wanted to see it "in the flesh" because she wants to tat it.  I didn't have one ready made (I gave them all away) so I brought my things to make her one during the day - though of course, as it turned out, I didn't spend that much time tatting so wasn't able to complete it.  BUT, when I got there I realised I'd forgotten to bring the beads that I needed for the centre.  Undeterred, I decided to tat Ice Queen without and see how it turned out.  I just finally finished it this morning.  Not bad I think.  The bugle beads are essential to the design but you could definitely do without the centre beads.  And this is what it looks like:


Click here to see Ice Queen with centre beads


It now makes me wonder about reversing the centre shape so that the whole design could be tatted in one pass....  Mmmm.... yes, that would be good.  I do so like "one-pass" designs.  I'll give that some thought.

And a bit more progress on the rectangle doily... just a bit!

Life feels somewhat hectic at the moment.



Best wishes,
Frivole

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had the chance to get together with a group of tatters. I always find that I feel re-energized after I've met with a group of tatting friends.

    I haven't tatted Ice Queen yet, only because I haven't any bugle beads! I'm sure that once life slows down a bit, I'll be able to focus on things like purchasing bugle beads. I would love to see a version that's a one pass design. I don't know how designers manage to figure those patterns out, but I do enjoy them!

    Your Concentric Rectangles doily looks great! I haven't had much time to work on mine either. I am so looking forward to June 1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful snowflake and doily!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you that you got to go, and met Jane in person. I've only attended one small regional lace day in my many years of tatting. The focus was mostly on bobbin lace, but I got to teach a class on adding beads to tatting. I had so much fun and was so inspired by all of the wonderful people and all of that creativity. I can only imagine what a larger event must be like, but it's got to be great. The snowflake looks great without the center beads and one-pass sounds quite interesting. Is your doily going to be all in white? It looks good in one color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eliz, ours was also a small event but for me it was pretty big since I'd never been to any! And I do not know any tatters personally so it was really nice to see many of them at work. One lady did incredibly fine lace (tatted) in silk and it was really lovely.

    Yes, the rectangle doily will be all white. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane sent me pics from the event - looked like fun! I know she enjoyed meeting you, others too! She had a good time.

    The flake is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous snowflake with or without beads,
    I did hear about the tatting day, but here in Somerset I have not hear of one, would be nice to have a day where tatters meet.
    Lovely doily, it's looking good so far
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you were able to go; it is lovely to spend time with other tatters. :) And the snowflake is lovely without the beads, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting to meet up with other tatters! I know I feel extremely lucky to have our little group here. Jane and Joëlle in the same room! Wow, I'd pay to be at that event!
    Your ice queen is gorgeous this way too. I'm currently on a "le flocon Frivole" binge but maybe I should give that one a try.
    That rectangle doily is so lovely and the negative spaces look wonderful with all white. Maybe that should be my next big project.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!