Monday 5 March 2012

Sometimes The Simplest Things...

This little motif is simple but effective.  Not a lot of thinking required when making it and the motifs look nice when put together.  This is a pattern by Roger L. aka Freedman which I found on the Needle Tatting website.  I think you may need to be a member to view the pattern but membership is free.

At first I thought I wanted all the square centres to face the same way but although I thought I'd worked it out, I got it wrong on the very first one and then realised it would be very difficult to get them all the same way so I gave up and just attached them randomly.  Hope it comes out looking alright in the end.

Motif no. 15
This is the first one I made and though you can't tell on the picture,
there was too much tension (for me) between the centre medallion 
and the outer round so I added some stitches to the centre
before making more motifs.


And this is where I'm at so far:



And finally, I'm adding this smaller, darker photo (below) because
I like the negative spaces that form when you join the motifs.
Can you see the nice flower/star shape
that appears around the centre medallion?
I like things like that.

It's a neat thing about tatting that it's not just what you tat that looks nice,
it's also what you don't tat!  Cool, n'est-ce pas?


I'm not going to go very large with this one, probably just adding two more motifs, one each end to give it an "ovalish" shape as in the pattern sample.

On another note, after what I said in my last post, I got my Iris Niebach doily book out thinking I was going to have to tackle one next... but mmmmmmm.... I still find them too daunting.  I look at the diagrams and it seems to me to require such a lot of thinking to figure out which way to go and which elements to do in which order (even with the few arrows provided).  So I put my book away again.  For now.  Might get around to it eventually.

Best wishes,

11 comments:

  1. Very nice! I'm glad you showed the darker photo. It really does show off different aspects of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!
      Yes, I wasn't going to use the darker photo as I thought it wasn't as good but then I spotted that it did show off much better the design made by the empty spaces.

      Delete
  2. That doily is just so pretty! You're doing an amazing job with it. I love Iris's patterns, I know I'm no where NEAR competant enough as a tatter to tackle them, but they'll be nice to look at and someday, maybe, I'll be able to make some.
    I love your blog! Can't wait to read what you write next and see what you've tatted. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It always lifts the spirits to read nice feedback!
      But you know this green one is quite simple, I'm sure most people could tackle it - just simple rings and chains.

      Delete
  3. So pretty! I have really enjoyed watching this project grow!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how beautiful!! :)
    The negative spaces that make the "star" shape look almost like little triangles or hearts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you, nearly like little hearts...

      Delete
  5. very beautiful tatting
    j'aime le shéma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! And I like the negative places, too, and the pattern that shows up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely piece of tatting, and lovely motifs, I like the way you put a dark piece behind the doily it really shows up the pattern.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great-looking doily! I'm not one to tat individual motifs and join them, but I enjoy seeing this one that you've done. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!